Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do in an Emergency?

Always call 911 First!

How should I report Dangerous Road Conditions (downed trees blocking roads or impassable roads)?

Call 911 to report, and Town officials will be notified. For other road concerns use the “Contact Us” button on the upper right of the Home Page.

How do I know if I live in the Town of Dane?

Check your address in Access Dane:

How do I sign up for Town of Dane Updates?

How do I contact the Town?

Use the “Contact Us” button on the upper right of the Home Page ( or call the Town Clerk, Angie Volkman at 608-575-3365 (email to [email protected]).
The answering machine in the Town Hall is not monitored every day.

Brush or trash burning questions

Burn permits at :
Contact Dane Fire Department at 608-849-4211 for more information
Check the DNR web site at

When do I need a zoning permit?

How do I get a zoning permit?

See: Zoning Permit and Information and contact Dane County Zoning at 608-266-4266

When do I need a building permit? 

Town of Dane Building Permit Information

*Note: You will need a Dane County Zoning Permit first.

How do I get a building permit?

Contact the Building Inspector Dean Eppler at Safebuilt 608-688-0997 or cell 608-576-6370.

How wide is the Town Road Right of Way?

The width of a road by Wisconsin Law is presumed to be 66 feet. See More Right of Way Information:
Town Highway Right of Way
Managing Highway Right 0f Ways (From WTA)

How do I get a dog license?

Contact the Town Treasurer, Jana Nolden at [email protected], 608-438-0056. Download the 2018 DOG LICENSE FORM

Where do I apply for a Wisconsin Drivers License?

Wisconsin DOT see

What fees and taxes does Town of Dane collect?

The Town of Dane collects property taxes, portions of which go to The Town of Dane, your specific school district, Madison Area Technical College and a small portion to Dane County and the State of Wisconsin.

Where do I obtain a hunting license?

Wisconsin DNR at

When does the Town Board meet?

The Town Board  regular meetings on usually on the first Monday of the month at 6:30 pm in the Town Hall at 213 W. Main Street, Dane. Check the calendar for the exact date and time, and for other meetings of the Town.

Where do I take my recyclables and trash?

The Town Recycling and disposal site is at 6457 Hyslop Road.  It is open from 8:30 AM to noon year round. Check the calendar for additional summer hours. See the recycling page for additional information.

Where do I register a vehicle?

Wisconsin DOT see

Where do I vote?

Voting on election days takes place at the Town Hall, 213 W. Main Street, Dane.  Voting hours are 7 AM to 8 PM. Check the calendar for the election dates.

How do I vote absentee?

Contact the Town Clerk for an appointment or to receive an absentee ballot by mail:  Angela Volkman at [email protected], 608-575-3365.  Mail absentee ballot requests to Town of Dane Clerk, 7003 Lavina Rd, Dane WI 53529. In-person absentee (early) voting dates are posted on the calendar for each election, by appointment only. See “Elections Information” page for more information.

Where do I find Wisconsin Voting Information?

Go to

Where do I find well and septic information?  What do I need to know?

Dane County Public Health Septic Information at
Dane County Public Health Well Information at: